James Corden apologized but now calls restaurant ban ‘silly’ and denies bad behavior
“It was one of those days where I just wanted to walk around and enjoy being in the fresh air,” he told Good Morning America on Thursday.
“I saw a group of men gathered together and I thought they seemed pretty strange.”
On Friday, the British star, 39, published a letter posted on Facebook apologizing for his behavior in Hollywood but denying that he had behaved in a predatory fashion.
“I am deeply aware of the hurt that I have caused and the disappointment that I have caused so many people who have worked with me over the past few years and have shown me such incredible love and support,” he wrote in the post.
And on Saturday, the star said he is no longer allowed to enter the restaurant that he had claimed was the location of the incident earlier this week.
“I have come to the decision that it is a silly thing to do and I will not be returning and apologizing for it,” he said in a statement. “I want to apologize to everyone who has believed me and stood by me as I made my statement, but it is not that simple. I was wrong and I deeply regret what happened. My apology is for the hurt that I have caused to those at the restaurant. I did not do anything to condone harm. I was not even aware that my behavior was inappropriate.”
During his statement, he said he was no longer welcome at the restaurant where the incident took place. He said he felt the restaurant owner was putting pressure on him.
“He took it upon himself to make a statement and told me I would not be welcomed back there, even though I have not been banned from there. I am no longer welcome there and I am devastated,” he said. “I am sorry for any embarrassment that I have caused, but to deny these facts will not make them go away. I do not belong there.”
A representative of the restaurant declined to comment to ABC News.
Corden said he was surprised that a manager of the restaurant contacted him