Roger Federer announces his retirement from the ATP Tour and grand slams
Roger Federer has come out of the woodwork to announce his retirement as the world’s top-ranked player.
The 34-year-old announced through a video message on Tuesday that he will not play any Grand Slam tournaments this season, with no tournaments in the foreseeable future.
“It has been an emotional time for me and my family. I have always believed in the power of competition and I love the challenge of competing at a high level,” Federer said in a video message.
“I have decided I am not going to play any tennis tournaments this season,” he continued. “This season has been made even more difficult by the tragic events in Florida. I am currently working with my personal doctor and our team of doctors to ensure I have the necessary support as I continue to make the transition.”
Federer lost first-set tiebreaks against Jiri Vesely in the Wimbledon final last week and the loss of confidence in his game has been noticeable all season.
He and his wife, Petra Kvitova, announced that they were expecting their first child on August 2.
Federer, who has three Grand Slam titles in his collection, has led the rankings for 33 consecutive months and has a record of 11-0 in grand slam finals.
Earlier this week, former Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic also announced his retirement from the sport, citing fatigue over the last six months.
“I’ve just been dealing with more and more problems in my body,” Djokovic told the media. “I’m almost 40 years of age and I’ve been playing a lot of matches and the weight of the ATP tour is becoming difficult.
“I don’t know what is happening, but it has just become impossible to sustain anything close to being in shape